The Mission of this organization is to enhance the quality of life for
the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Oregonians.
The Purpose of this organization consists of, but not limited to, the
To provide a Service Center that will serve the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing community.
To serve as a resource and referral center of needed service to the Deaf and
Hard-of-Hearing community. Examples:
on available Sign Language interpreters.
- Information on assistive devices, such as TTYs (phone device), visual alert systems
(such as strobe lights for smoke alarm or doorbell), amplifiers and more.
- Information on local, state, and federal legislative issues pertaining to the Deaf and
- Referrals to Vocational Rehabilitation help.
- Referrals to Educational Services.
- ... and more.
- To sponsor research (directly and indirectly) that will benefit the Deaf and
- To provide educational, social, and recreational events for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing
community that can increase their enjoyment of life. Examples:
- TTY training (phone device).
- Understanding the American Disability Act (ADA and your rights).
- Special events (Valentine, Halloween, Dances, Contests, Potlucks).
- To publicize the existence of this center in order to be of assistance to a larger Deaf
and Hard-of-Hearing community.
- To increase public sensitivity to the problems that are constantly confronted by the
Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing community.
- To achieve an effective, collective voice for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing community
through this center that can address the business, governmental, and other sections of
society where said group's identity, needs, and opinions can be expressed and meaningful